Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

A few weeks ago (I don't know about now), the KDE distribution in unstable simply would not run. I've noted several of the messages recommending the unstable branch say that there were some updates that caused the receiving machines to crash / lock / not start.

How does one recover from something like this short of doing a reload?

Fix the problem yourself -- a lot of times an error message will point you to the exact line in the exact file that's causing the problem, and a quick look will reveal a missing quote mark in the preceding line or a misspelled word in the line, etc.

 or

Wait for the problem to be fixed and for the fixed packages to become available; then install the fixed packages.

In the meantime, use something other than KDE, such as Gnome, icewm, wmaker, fluxbox, ion, twm, sawfish, saffire, xfce, qvwm etc etc etc.

--
Kent