Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:25:30AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>
> >A few weeks ago (I don't know about now), the KDE distribution in unstable
> >simply would not run. I've noted several of the messages recommending the
> >unstable branch say that there were some updates that caused the receiving
> >machines to crash / lock / not start.
> >
> >How does one recover from something like this short of doing a reload?
> >

> Fix the problem yourself -- a lot of times an error message will point
> you to the exact line in the exact file that's causing the problem, and
> a quick look will reveal a missing quote mark in the preceding line or a
> misspelled word in the line, etc.

And if you don't know how to fix it but know which file is the problem
you can find which package it came from using dpkg -S <file name>
I think that there is also apt-file which will let you search for
specific files, or in the debian package search page you also have an
option to search bu file.