Re: Possible to set initial groupids?

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:48:35 -0500
Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be loading Debian on some desktops that are going to be
> networked with some machines running a different distribution. I'm
> noting that the initial userid / groupid on the distributions differ.
> I need to have them match the other machines for sharing purposes; I
> haven't been able to talk the client into running NIS.
>
> The userids aren't a problem - I can set those as we create the users.
> The group ids - especially "users" - are an issue as they are created
> during installation.
>
> Is there a way to set the groupid for the initially created groups? I
> could live with just specifying the id for users, but it would be nice
> to have a bit more control.

Why not simply copy/paste the relevant portion of /etc/group between
machines so that you know the gids are the same across all the machines?
This would also save you the time of having to create all the extra
groups on each machine. I create/edit groups using vim all the time and
haven't had any problems.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #31:
National Weather Service advice for those threatened by severe
thunderstorms: "Go inside a sturdy building and stay away from WINDOWS!"
http://www.linux.org