Re: Newb user

Brad Nelson wrote:

Greetings,
I am a totally new user of Linux. I do not have any experience with it and installed it(debian) on an extra machine purely out of curiousity. Now what? I am looking for some good online texts with lists of commands, simple descriptions of the the directory trees, and basically how to function in the environment. I am reasonably sure that the install was decent and I can log in successfully. But once I am into the account I have no clue what I can or can't do.

It sounds like you're at the text console. You'd probably feel a lot more comfortable in a graphical environment (the X Windowing System), which will feel more like being in Windows or Macintosh.

Try "startx" at the command prompt. If everything needed for X is installed, that should get you a graphical display. If everything needed is not installed, try:
 apt-get install x-window-system kde
(which will have to be done by root (aka superuser)
followed by "startx".

(By the way, don't log in as root or you'll run the risk of hosing your system someday; log in as a normal non-root user, and only become root to do sysadmin-type things, such as the apt-get command above. The best way to do root-type things (in my opinion) is with the "sudo" command, but that's probably not set up on your machine, so for now, you can type "su -" to become root, do the root things, then type "exit" to exit out back to your normal non-root user privileges.)

--
Kent