Re: Newb user

Apparently, _Brad Nelson_, on 06/19/04 11:39,typed:
Greetings,
I am a totally new user of Linux. I do not have any experience with it and installed it(debian) on an extra machine purely out of curiousity. Now what? I am looking for some good online texts with lists of commands, simple descriptions of the the directory trees, and basically how to function in the environment. I am reasonably sure that the install was decent and I can log in successfully. But once I am into the account I have no clue what I can or can't do. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Brad

If you are just have a text console and no GUI, try typing "tasksel" as root. From the text based menu entries, choose "Desktop environment" and also "C/C++ programming" (or somethign like this) and press OK. It will install gnome and kde and gdm/kdm and you will have a desktop environment when it is done. In GUI log in that you will get, log in as a normal user, not as root.

->HS