Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:29, Francisco Borges <frandebo@latt.if.usp.br> wrote:
> SpamCop works fine for my own email, where most people are whitelisted,
> but is said [1] not to be suitable for a production environment and what
> we have here is precisely that...

I know of some ISPs that use SpamCop.  It generally works well and has good
proceedures for removing bogus entries.  I have had my mail server using the
SpamCop DNSBL for years and had hardly any problems of legit mail being
rejected.

Below is my Postfix configuration line for anti-spam systems.  SpamCop is
first because it gets the highest hit rate and the majority of spams get
discarded from it before even having to query other servers (should be good
for you as you mention having an over-loaded server).  The DNSBL entries
below are roughly in order of hit rate - the last few entries catch hardly
any spam due to duplicate entries with other lists.

By far the most false-positive entries I have had are from
postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org and abuse.rfc-ignorant.org.  The postmaster list
gets hotmail.com (and many others), and the abuse list gets yahoo.com (with
many more others).  I was forced to remove the abuse list from my
configuration as it got so many hits on non-spam email, and the postmaster
list is a border-line case.

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_rbl_client
bl.spamcop.net, reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net, reject_rbl_client
list.dsbl.org, reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org, reject_rbl_client
dnsbl.njabl.org, reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client
relays.ordb.org, reject_rhsbl_client rhsbl.sorbs.net, reject_rhsbl_client
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org, reject_rhsbl_client postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org