Re: Install from file?

Hello

Brenden T. (<brenden@rcsis.com>) wrote:

> I just installed a new Debian (Woody) system, and there are issues.
>
> For some reason, no name resovler (DNS) was installed.  This not only
> makes the system pretty much unusable, it also makes it pretty hard to
> use apt-get (can't resolve the name mirrors.kernel.org, for example).
>
> So I donloaded bind9 and associated packages from Debian.org, and
> transfered them over manually with a CD.

That is a DNS server. You do not need to install it on your system to
resolve addresses. Configure your connection properly and tell your
system what name servers it should use. If you use a dialup connection,
use pppconfig. You probably want to select "dynamic DNS". You can also
add the addresses to /etc/resolv.conf manually. Here is my resolv.conf
as an example:

nameserver 217.237.149.161
nameserver 194.25.2.129

> How do I install a package from a file?  I can't figure it out.

dpkg -i packagename1.deb packagename2.deb ...

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976