DIARY: Squirrelmail problem

I installed Squirrelmail on my debian server using apt-get as my webmail. I
tested it and was able to send and receive emails using my webmail. However,
I noticed that i was getting an error message whenever o login with an
invalidusername or password.. the error message goes like this..

Warning: Failed opening '/var/www/squirrelmail/functions/page_header.php'
for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/display_messages.php on line 99
I then searched google for answers but didnt find one that worked for me. So
proceeded to the #debian channel using IRC and someone suggested that i moved
the sqiurrelmail directory inside my apache DocumentRoot..

# mv /usr/share/sqiurrelmail /var/www/

then configured apache to look/alias the squirrelmail in /usr/share
after applying thses changes i resrtarted apache and im not getting the
error message anymore.

Although, the problem has been solved. Im still confused with the
relevance of moving the /usr/share/squirrelmail to /var/www in eliminating
the errormessage.

Has anyone encountered the same problem before? How did you solve it?

Thanks and God Bless.

kristin