Re: Kernel update problems

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2004 15:03 schrieb Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti
Dutra:
> Em Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:00:11 +0200, J. Preiss escreveu:
> > I wanted to change from kernel 2.2 (Boot-Disks-Download) to kernel 2.4 or
> > better 2.6. Now I've been toold to modify manually my lilo.conf by
> > debconf.
>
> 	That shouldn’t be so dramatic, which changes are that?

I should add initrd to lilo.conf. IMHO this is dramatic, because if you ignore
this warning, debian wont boot next time you start. And if you take care of
that hint, you search for the kernel image to add - but it isnt installed
yet. You have to say "Yes, go on", then you might see the new kernel stuff.

To make it more dramtic :-) after I made the fault first time, I reinstalled
everything. That was easier, but took me once again a night for downloads.

> 	Just remember to run lilo before booting.  Anyway, if you
> don’t overwrite 2.2 nor delete its lilo.conf entries you should be OK.
>
> > And why are the boot images so old? Any special reason?
>
> 	Debian is really slow and conservative, that’s all.

Mmh... no, thats not true. I changed to debian, because it is really the
fastest way to get the latest software - in unstable. Only the boot disks are
not availble for three (four?) categories.
But for the first step it would be great to have lilo already configured with
initrd.