Kernel update problems

Hi all,
I wanted to change from kernel 2.2 (Boot-Disks-Download) to kernel 2.4 or
better 2.6. Now I've been toold to modify manually my lilo.conf by debconf.

But I'm quite sure that if I'd update from a woody-cd to a newer kernel, all
these changes are made automatically. So I'm wondering: where's the
difference? Can I update something to get all changes automatically? And why
are the boot images so old? Any special reason?

(To avoid questions: this pc has neither dvd nor cdrom, and I cant connect
anything to it).