Re: Enabling telnet access

Paal Marker <paal@barum.folkebibl.no> writes:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>>Paal Marker <paal@barum.folkebibl.no> writes:
>>
>>>I have installed telnetd, and it is running.
>>
>>Why not just use ssh?  It just drops in and works, and is a lot more
>>flexable and secure than telnet.
>>
> Well, telnet is the default inside our network, so I wanted to stick
> to it. As the debian-box is inside the local nets firewall and each
> box has a strict local firewall, security is not a real issue.

I tend towards not wanting to give an attacker an easy reward once
they're inside, but hey, if you want just one wall to fall...

> As I am new to debian, switching from rh, I have to adapt some
> knowledge. But ok, I have found how to configure ssh and use it
> now. But it did absolutely not just drop in and work straight out of
> the box, I had to do some conf to get it up.

Care to go into detail for the sake of the archives?  If someone else is
having the same problem, they'll benefit from your experience if you
post it.

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>