Re: Locale and Umlauts again

Em Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:50:26 +0200, J. Preiss escreveu:

> locales was installed, localconf not. After installing, it wanted to overwrite
> the existing files, and I said no (praying this to be a good answer, see
> below).

	Then you might just as well not have installed it!

> I do have to reconfigure locales every time I boot, because else I have qwerty
> keyboard layout instead of german (or was it console-common?).

	Definetely not.

> Mmmh, but if
> it is the one where I have to chose the files to be generated (deDE-files):
> yes, I did. Often :-D

	That would be locales, I think.  No need to redo, but please
consider applying localeconf.

>> 	Unless you disable the XKB extension in
>> /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) the console configurations won’t affect X.
>
> This would be a nice answer, if I only would know if I *want* it to be
> affected... Do I?

	Only if you end up having the console configured to your
satisfaction.

> I do not need cyrillic stuff on console, it only would be
> nice to see cyrillic file names.

	This has nothing to do with keyboard, it is only a matter of
installing a cyrillic or Unicode font, I guess Unicode is what you
want.

>> 	What are your XKB configs?  Either check the above mentioned
>> config file, or do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
> I am a little bit too angry to reconfigure x itself. I'm proud that I see
> something...
>
> I tried my best, but I did not find any hint to xkb. In XFcfg, I would expect
> a load of the module, but there isnt.

	I never used XFcfg, I always do dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 first and then refine it by hand.  In any case, XKB
won’t be mentioned explicitly in dpkg-reconfigure, it only asks for
the configuration values themselves.

> But I have kde keyboard switcher activated, with:
>
> setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de -variant nodeadkeys
>
> and
>
> setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout ru -variant basic
>
> With this, alt-gr does not work :-) But pc105 is the correct keyboard, and:
> the Win(tm)-key works and starts the K-Menu. I dont understand anything about
> whats going on here...

	I never used KDE, but I do know the Gnome keyboard switcher
gave me some grief.

	Another issue is if your pc105 keyboard really does both
layouts.  I guess so.

> Just installed it. If it shows me US-101, if that is my default than this
> would be wrong.

	No, it is not the default.  It is just that xkeycaps really
doesn’t do any choosing for you.

> What will be broken if I let it create a xmodmap?

	Nothing.  You have to run xmodmap with the created file before
it takes effect.

>> 	POSIX is just the default.
>
> How can I get back to it????? With the default, I see umlauts on my second pc
> and I even can enter them! But maybe its more broken than LC_*.

	That’s what localeconf was for, but you could also edit
/etc/environment, I think.

	Don’t touch LC_* unless you *really* know what you’re doing.
LANG and LANGUAGE should be enough for mostly everyone.

>> 	Not that I know.  It is one of the weak points of GNU/Linux,
>> together with desktop printer setup and sound I guess.
>
> Sound is not so bad, until now (knocking on wood) I had no unresolvable
> problems.

	Can’t even get this machine to work, and having more than one
X session on the same machine definetely is a headache.

> But, ok, my printer did not print out at least one page on linux
> (no matter what version). Even if I selected the correct driver (Lexmark
> 1000), no test page was printed. Well....

	CUPS can be a pain, I am considering going back to lpr-ng.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro@dutra.fastmail.fm