Re: Locale and Umlauts again

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2004 15:37 schrieb Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti
Dutra:
> Em Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:10:07 +0200, J. Preiss escreveu:
> > I still have problems with it, at least on one pc. I used
> > dpkg-reconfigure console-common
>
> 	¿Did you do aptitude install locales localeconf?

locales was installed, localconf not. After installing, it wanted to overwrite
the existing files, and I said no (praying this to be a good answer, see
below).

> 	¿Or dpkg-reconfigure them, if already there?
I do have to reconfigure locales every time I boot, because else I have qwerty
keyboard layout instead of german (or was it console-common?). Mmmh, but if
it is the one where I have to chose the files to be generated (deDE-files):
yes, I did. Often :-D

> > installed cyrillic fonts, checked with xfontsel for there
> > presence (even in kde center).
>
> 	Unless you disable the XKB extension in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) the console configurations won’t affect X.

This would be a nice answer, if I only would know if I *want* it to be
affected... Do I? I do not need cyrillic stuff on console, it only would be
nice to see cyrillic file names. I guess this only has something to do with
the console fonst, and they are installed. So lets stay with X...

> > So the current locales are de_DE.UTF-8@euro,
> > and (as examples) in kate and kdevelop UTF-8 is set as default. I'd
> > expect that this would be the right way to display all I need (umlauts
> > and cyrllic). But it doesnt work.
>
> 	What are your XKB configs?  Either check the above mentioned
> config file, or do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
I am a little bit too angry to reconfigure x itself. I'm proud that I see
something...

I tried my best, but I did not find any hint to xkb. In XFcfg, I would expect
a load of the module, but there isnt.
But I have kde keyboard switcher activated, with:

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de -variant nodeadkeys

and

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout ru -variant basic

With this, alt-gr does not work :-) But pc105 is the correct keyboard, and:
the Win(tm)-key works and starts the K-Menu. I dont understand anything about
whats going on here...

> 	Another tip would be to try xkeycaps.

Just installed it. If it shows me US-101, if that is my default than this
would be wrong.
What will be broken if I let it create a xmodmap?

> > On the other side, I installed a second pc fresh from the start, did
> > mostly the same things - and everything is ok. I take a look at locales,
> > and see, here it is "POSIX". I dont know where this comes from...
>
> 	Typically locales are set in /etc/environment.  But your
> problem seem to be more of keymaps than of locales.
>
> > Anyway, I tried to set this on my first pc, but there was no entry for
> > posix within the locales. Any hints?
>
> 	POSIX is just the default.

How can I get back to it????? With the default, I see umlauts on my second pc
and I even can enter them! But maybe its more broken than LC_*.

> > Is there a howto about locales and languages and fonts and all stuff I
> > need somewhere?
>
> 	Not that I know.  It is one of the weak points of GNU/Linux,
> together with desktop printer setup and sound I guess.

Sound is not so bad, until now (knocking on wood) I had no unresolvable
problems. But, ok, my printer did not print out at least one page on linux
(no matter what version). Even if I selected the correct driver (Lexmark
1000), no test page was printed. Well....