Re: Mouse wheel does not work with kernel 2.6.x

Am Mi, den 16.06.2004 schrieb Greg Norris um 14:49:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:56:40AM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> > I have a logitech USB mouse which works great using 2.4 kernels. With
> > exactly the same setup in X, the same mouse attached to the same
> > computer works still, but only the three buttons: scrolling the wheel
> > doesn't do anything, pressing it works as "paste" like it should.
> > Obviously it can't be the X configuration which is faulty, because it
> > still works when I boot back to 2.4. Also the kernel configuration
> > should be OK, because otherwise the mouse wouldn't work at all.
>      [snip
> > CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
>
> I had the same issue recently... the solution is to set CONFIG_PSMOUSE
> to "n" (or "m", and just don't load the module).  The problem is most
> likely that your BIOS has PS/2 emulation enabled, which typically
> doesn't support the wheel, and the PSMOUSE code is handling the mouse.
> The USB subsystem includes it's own mouse drivers, which will be used
> as long as PSMOUSE support is disabled.  Apparently 2.4 would go ahead
> and use the USB drivers in either case... no idea why that changed.
>
> You could also disable PS/2 emulation in your BIOS setup, but I
> wouldn't recommend this solution.  Among other things, it can make the
> lilo menu inaccessible if you use a USB keyboard.

That sounds helpful. The problem is: I need PS/2 also, because this is a
notebook computer and very often I don't have the mouse with me. OTOH,
the keyboard is not USB, so I could first look into the BIOS and try if
I have such an option. I'll report about my progress...

Thanks,
joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!