Mouse wheel does not work with kernel 2.6.x

Hi everybody

This is a bit strange to me, and I don't exactly know how to track the
problem down. Here are the symptoms:

I have a logitech USB mouse which works great using 2.4 kernels. With
exactly the same setup in X, the same mouse attached to the same
computer works still, but only the three buttons: scrolling the wheel
doesn't do anything, pressing it works as "paste" like it should.
Obviously it can't be the X configuration which is faulty, because it
still works when I boot back to 2.4. Also the kernel configuration
should be OK, because otherwise the mouse wouldn't work at all.

snippets from some (maybe) interesting files:

jorg@notebook-johannes:~$ grep MOUSE /boot/config-2.4.23
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
# CONFIG_82C710_MOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_MK712_MOUSE is not set

jorg@notebook-johannes:~$ grep HID /boot/config-2.4.23
# USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y

jorg@notebook-johannes:~$ grep MOUSE /boot/config-2.6.7
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_VSXXXAA is not set
jorg@notebook-johannes:~$ grep HID /boot/config-2.6.7
# USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
# CONFIG_HID_FF is not set
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
# CONFIG_USB_PHIDGETSERVO is not set

----8<----  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "cursor" "AlwaysCore"
        InputDevice    "stylus" "AlwaysCore"
        InputDevice    "eraser" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection