Re: Mouse wheel does not work with kernel 2.6.x

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:56:40AM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> I have a logitech USB mouse which works great using 2.4 kernels. With
> exactly the same setup in X, the same mouse attached to the same
> computer works still, but only the three buttons: scrolling the wheel
> doesn't do anything, pressing it works as "paste" like it should.
> Obviously it can't be the X configuration which is faulty, because it
> still works when I boot back to 2.4. Also the kernel configuration
> should be OK, because otherwise the mouse wouldn't work at all.
     [snip
> CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y

I had the same issue recently... the solution is to set CONFIG_PSMOUSE
to "n" (or "m", and just don't load the module).  The problem is most
likely that your BIOS has PS/2 emulation enabled, which typically
doesn't support the wheel, and the PSMOUSE code is handling the mouse.
The USB subsystem includes it's own mouse drivers, which will be used
as long as PSMOUSE support is disabled.  Apparently 2.4 would go ahead
and use the USB drivers in either case... no idea why that changed.

You could also disable PS/2 emulation in your BIOS setup, but I
wouldn't recommend this solution.  Among other things, it can make the
lilo menu inaccessible if you use a USB keyboard.