Re: Commercial-grade application software

Incoming from Al Davis:
> On Tuesday 15 June 2004 10:17 pm, jack kinnon wrote:
> > That's true, there are a lot of possible
> > mix-and-match. I am looking for a completed one that
> > may suit my needs. Basically I have in mind an
> > integrated environment like those available fr Borland
> > or MS.
>
> Some of us think the MS or Borland approach is undesirable.
> Mix-and-match allows members of a development team to customize
> their personal environment, while maintainting consistency in

Pick an editor; emacs or vim, or something.  I know emacs has hooks to
compilers, debuggers, and source code control systems; editing modes
specific to various languages and file formats, etc.  I imagine vim
can do as well or better (ymmv).  Build yourself a toolset.  Whatever
you end up with will likely work every bit as well on whichever
language you fall in love with next week.  And by the way, vim/gvim is
not the crufty old boring editor you may remember.  Xemacs, ditto.

You don't have to rely on monolithic, highly specific apps in Linux.
You get to choose your environment; the one that works for you, and
the one that you don't have to learn all over again next week.

- -