Re: How Do I Update to Gnome 2.6?

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 17:12, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Dear Ed:
>
> I don't use Debian. I use the Debian-based Xandros Linux. But I would advise
> you very strongly to read some of the reviews of Gnome 2.6. They are
> horrendous. Just look for them at LinuxToday. The consensus is that if you
> really want Gnome 2.6, you should wait till your distro has upgraded to it.
> Otherwise, you'll be facing one hell of a nightmare both installing and
> running it.

The above is not true at all. I'm running Gnome 2.6 right now. It's very
nice, and perfectly stable.

Add the following to the file /etc/apt/sources.list:
  deb ftp://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ unstable main  contrib

[Note: instead of the download URL above, select a suitable mirror for
your location]

then as the root user type:
  apt-get update
  apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

Note that pointing apt at "unstable" can have nasty side-effects. You
really should run a system backup before doing this, just in case.
However I can say that I updated about 1 hour ago and everything is
fine.

I typically comment out the "unstable" line above when I'm happy with my
system, so that I don't download any more "unstable" packages. There is
probably a better way to manage this, such as "pinning" etc. Some day I
hope to have time to learn the finer details of apt.

Note; I am running x86 not PPC. I don't expect that to make any
difference, though.

Regards,

Simon