Re: Printing to USB printer

On Monday 14 June 2004 14:55 it was so written:
> Install the hpoj package, and let it talk to the USB port of your
> printer. It should detect the printer automatically, if you are
> lucky.  Everything else must be configured to talk to your printer
> through hpoj ("ptal" or "mlc" interface), NOT directly through the
> USB port.
>
> Since you like KDE, you may want to install the hpoj-xojpanel
> package as well.
>
> Install the hpijs package, it is needed to process the data that
> goes to the printer.  Install the gs-afpl OR the gs-gpl package,
> for the same reason.
>
> Install all foomatic-* packages.  Restart cupsys (the printing
> system) just in case (as root, command /etc/init.d/cupsys restart).
>  Cupsys is the printing control service behind KDE's printing
> system, so you probably have a nice GUI for that, but I don't know
> exactly where. kprint is probably it.

hpoj package installed, along with the other suggestions, using
dselect. Done.

hpoj did indeed detect printer correctly.

Restarting cupsys was unsuccessful. There were multiple ptal processes
running, and cupsys would die but not come back up. Rebooting caused
everything to come up correctly.

> Configure cupsys (through the kde interface, maybe, or directly
> using your browser to http://localhost:631) and add a printer that
> is configured to talk to the *ptal* port where your PSC2210 is
> (ptal means that data will go through hpoj).   Select the proper
> model in the database. Remember to look under "HP" *and*
> Hewlet­Packard.  Get the driver that says hpijs.  The best driver
> for my Deskjet 5550 was under "HP".

Using "Peripherals:Printers" in KDE Control Center.

Drivers for the PSC2210 listed under both HEWLET PACKARD and HP,
however the HP driver did not specifically say hpijs. Suggestion
taken, hpijs driver installed.

Success, test page printed correctly.

> That should be it.
>
> I can't help much to track down permission problems, though.  The
> logs under /var/log are your friends.  Good luck.

Luck has little to do with it. Experience has everything to do with
making this sort of thing work. I think it is time to get together
and write and HP Printer HowTo. Actually, your email pretty much does
it. I'm glad this will be in the archives for people to find.

Many thanks, you have solved a problem that has been bugging me for a
long time. I noticed that scanner management software was installed
at the same time, I'll see what success I have with that before
calling on the community for a clue-by-4 again.

Peace, may your aim never waver,

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001