Re: Getting boot not to hang if ethernet not plugged into modem

Kent West wrote:
Cheryl Homiak wrote:
Is there something one can put in /etc/network/interfaces or somewhere so that ethernet card coming up will be conditional.?

Not really the best answer, but perhaps it might work in your case. You should be able to hit Ctrl-C when it hangs, and that particular script will abort, and the rest of the boot will then finish out.

Well, since interfaces are brought up by /etc/init.d/network, I think you could also solve this by appending '&' to the two 'ifup -a' statements in the 'start' case of that script.

Then your DHCP requests (which will go unanswered) happen in the background while boot continues.

The only issue is if you have something else in the boot process that expects a network connection. On normal boot, when you are connected, these things might not happen properly if you don't wait for the network interfaces to be brought up.

Maybe you could modify the script to bring up the 'lo' interface first, and then background the interface connected to the cable modem.

I guess that makefile based bootup that was on Slashdot (I think) a few months back would come in handy here.

dircha