Re: Getting boot not to hang if ethernet not plugged into modem

Cheryl Homiak wrote:

Is there something one can put in /etc/network/interfaces or somewhere so that ethernet card coming up will be conditional. right now, if I boot on either my laptop or desktop with "auto" set for eth0 and the cable modem isn't connected to the ethernet card, the whole boot hangs for quite a while. i noticed when experimenting with Fedora recently that there was only a brief pause if the cable modem wasn't plugged in, then the boot continued almost immediately. Not trying to compare distros; it's just that having this happen with Fedora made me wonder if it was possible to set something up in debian. I don't always know when I am going to boot on a computer without the modem connected and it seems anyway that there could be a better solution than changing /etc/network/interfaces whenever i think I might be doing this.
Thanks.

Not really the best answer, but perhaps it might work in your case. You should be able to hit Ctrl-C when it hangs, and that particular script will abort, and the rest of the boot will then finish out.
--
Kent