Re: Best Window Manager for the Job

Carl Fink wrote:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:56:24PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
No need to run a wm at all. I'm not sure how to set it up for all users, but for any one user, just set the ~/.xinitrc to have the single line in it "mozilla-firefox".

I thought of that, too, as I posted, but what if a popup window
opens?  With no WM it'll have no controls, making it hard to close
and impossible to move.  Also, if someone exits they'll find
themselves sitting at the shell prompt (or display manager prompt)
and not know what to do.

And once you allow popup windows, you need a taskbar (i.e. window list button bar).

Errors, especially with javascript, with trying to force _everything_ to open in a new tab rather than a new window also I think give need for a taskbar.

Now, to add something to the discussion, I'll suggest you use two tools:
- oroborus as your window manager
- fspanel or fbpanel as your taskbar

oroborus doesn't do much more than manage windows; about as minimal as you will find that still behaves as a standard window manager and looks modern (that is, not ratpoison). No GTK or QT dependencies.

fspanel is a taskbar, and nothing more; it has no GTK or QT dependencies. It will work fine if you don't use "virtual" (read: multiple) desktops.

If fspanel is too quirky, then try fbpanel.

dircha