Re: Best Window Manager for the Job

* James W. Thompson, II <jwthompson2@gmail.com> [2004 Jun 11 11:41 -0500]:
> I am working on building a web browsing kiosk, no other functionality
> with Debian. I am planning to use FireFox and was wondering about the
> best Window Manager for the job. Here is the biggest catch, the system
> is old.
>
> + Pentium 233MHz
> + 32MB RAM (Going to try and upgrade it to 64MB if we can find a stick)
> + 2 GB Hard Drive
> + 3Com 3c509 NIC
> + ATI 3D Rage Graphics
> + CD-ROM and Floppy

My vote would be to use IceWM as it is lightweight and has a default
look and feel that is similar to other operating environments.  There
are a number of themes available, some more familiar/simple than
others.

I've used IceWM exclusively for over six years and haven't had a reason
to switch.

> Debian installed with no problems as a minimal install but I want to
> have some kind of idea of where I am going. To be honest, I have never
> configured a system for quite this purpose. I have two accounts on the
> machine: root and user. I am wanting to use a graphical login and
> would like for FireFox to launch automatically on loading into X. Do I
> even need a Window Manager really since I just want FireFox to load
> and run and nothing else will need to be there.

This is probably quite doable by adding firefox to ~/.xsession in place
of a window manager.  When Firefox is closed the X server will die and
the screen will return to the xdm login.

I do think that you will want to get the RAM up to 64 MiB, though.

- Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org