Re: Best Window Manager for the Job

James W. Thompson, II verraste ons met de boodschap:

> I am working on building a web browsing kiosk, no other functionality
> with Debian. I am planning to use FireFox and was wondering about the
> best Window Manager for the job. Here is the biggest catch, the system
> is old.

I've built a kiosk with comparable hardware, with only this installed:
- X, the very basics + fonts
- icewm for a window manager (extremely configurable and fast)
- gdm for the autologin feature
- galeon for browsing (ok, a very large set of dependencies, but I like
its tab behaviour and the mouse gestures)
- xpdf (you could also install gv, java, flashplugin, mozplugger,
mplayer, mplayerplugin, ... for other browsing enhancements)
- _no_ xterm or equivalent if you don't want guests to explore the
filesystem

additional feature:
/var and /home moved to /var.template and /home.template, mounting /var,
/tmp and /home as tmpfs and copying over the contents directly after
mounting. add a read-only root partition and shutting down is as easy as
turning the power off :-)

> Debian installed with no problems as a minimal install but I want to
> have some kind of idea of where I am going. To be honest, I have never
> configured a system for quite this purpose. I have two accounts on the
> machine: root and user. I am wanting to use a graphical login and would
> like for FireFox to launch automatically on loading into X. Do I even
> need a Window Manager really since I just want FireFox to load and run
> and nothing else will need to be there.

I've tried the 'no window manager' approach... it sucks ;-). dialog boxes
don't get keyboard focus, among other inconveniences

> Any ideas? I searched the archives and didn't find anything real useful.

indeed, given that the kiosk-howto is almost 5 years old
hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck,

--
Joris