Re: Best Window Manager for the Job

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:31:01AM -0500, James W. Thompson, II wrote:

> Debian installed with no problems as a minimal install but I want to
> have some kind of idea of where I am going. To be honest, I have never
> configured a system for quite this purpose ...

Neither have I, but not knowing what I'm talking about won't stop me!

> ... I am wanting to use a graphical login

Why?  That is, why have a login at all?  Let root use the "real" VT
console and startx from a VT to start X.

> ... would like for FireFox to launch automatically on loading into
> X. Do I even need a Window Manager really since I just want FireFox
> to load and run and nothing else will need to be there.

I certainly wouldn't use a window manager, except I think you'll have
to.  You could run just FireFox ... but it would have a very hard
time opening and closing popup windows with no WM.  You probably want
the lightest thing you can find that looks like MS Windows (for
familiarity to your browsers).  I personally use icewm, and you could
customize it to remove all the menus, etc. to avoid people fiddling.
--
Carl Fink               carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum