Re: can't mount DVD-ROM

On Thursday 10 June 2004 13:11, Luis R Finotti wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> For some reason I can't mount my DVD-ROM anymore.  I put a data CD in it
> and I get the following message when I try to mount it:
>
> debian[~]% mount /dvd/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> Here is my fstab file:
>
> debian[~]% more /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> <dump>  <pass>
> /dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
> 0	1 /dev/hda2       none            swap    sw                      	0
>    0 proc            /proc           proc    defaults
>    0	0 none            /devfs          devfs   defaults
>      0	0 /dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    defaults,user,noauto
>        0	0 /dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660
> defaults,ro,user,noauto         0 	0 /dev/hdc        /dvd
> iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto         0 	0 #/dev/hda1      /win
>    msdos   defaults,ro,user,noauto         0	0 /dev/hda1       /win
>      ntfs    defaults,ro,user,noauto         0	0 none
> /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   defaults,user                   0 	0

If you specify a mount option, you don't need to include "defaults".  In
other words, your last line could be:
/proc/bus/usb	usbfs	user		0	0

> This did work before.  It's been a little while since I tried to mount it
> so I don't know what I did that made it stop working...  (I recentlty
> changed hda3 from ext2 to ext3 and installed hotplug.)

The above suggestion isn't your problem, since, as you say, it worked
before.

> Note: I can mount the same data CD using my CD-ROM drive and in Windows I
> can read the CD from the DVD drive, so I guess it is not hardware
> related.
>
> I posted the output of dmesg if you want/need to take a look:
>
> http://www.math.ucsb.edu/~finotti/dvd/dmesg

This excerpt from your dmesg shows the problem:
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: PIONEER   Model: DVD-ROM DVD-116   Rev: 1.07
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-R/RW 12X8X32   Rev: 9.AB
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 12x/40x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

It would appear your dvd is being treated as a SCSI device.  Check your scsi
device nodes, and change your fstab as appropriate.

> Thanks and my best to all,
>
> Luis

Good job including a link to your dmesg output.
Justin Guerin