Re: wvdial connects but no internet and KPPP dies

Okay, been a while since I used ppp, but I'll give it a try...

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:28:39AM -0700, Jason Kretzer wrote:
> Here is the output from the commandline when I run
> KPPP from a shell as root.
>
> ~# kppp
> Opener: received SetSecret
> Opener: received SetSecret
> Opener: received OpenLock
>
> Opener: received OpenDevice
> Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
> In parent: pppd pid 19457
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> Kernel supports ppp alright.
> pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are requiring your ISP to authenticate itself to you (probably not
what you want).  Read the docs for PPP, last I knew in a file something
like /etc/ppp/peers/provider-or-whatever-name-you-gave-it you set
options such as username.  In this file you need to set "noauth",
otherwise you are asking the ISP to authenticate themselves to you.

Again, read through the documentation regarding authentication to get
better info.

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.