locale vs. localeconf & /etc/environment & paper sizes

I noticed both "dpkg-reconfigure localeconf" and "dpkg-reconfigure
locales" will change /etc/environment.  Sometimes you will end up with
LANG=en_US in the "Debconf" section (via localeconf) and also LANG=en_US
at the end (added by locales).

But when you "clear" your language to none via dpkg-reconfigure of
either, both settings are cleared.

Why do they both set it?

Also, I have questions about various apps and how they decide to use A4
or US Letter as the default:

* OpenOffice seems to always use US Letter as the default.
* So does Mozilla Firebird.
* Current KDElibs in sid seems to always use A4.
* a2ps seems to follow libpaper, i.e., what is in /etc/papersize.
* Gimp seems to always use US Letter as the default.

"locale" tells me LC_PAPER="en_US".  Is that why OO, Moz, and Gimp are
all using US Letter?  Is there a way to slave LC_PAPER to
/etc/papersize?