RE: newb question: user swithcing in KDE

Ignatz,

You may have figured this our already but for prosperity here goes...

Kent's answer below is awesome, i have already started using it, but if you

want a graphical user switching interface KDE provides an excellent one.  All

you have to do is make kdm your default display manager.  if kdm is installed

then just edit thet file /etc/X11/default-display-manager

change /usr/bin/?dm to /usr/bin/kdm  (props to Igor for that one).

if kdm is not installed use apt-get or synaptic to install it.  part of this

install involves it asking you which display manger you want as default, just

pick kdm.  then go into kontrol center and under system administration there

is a login manager section.  push the administrator mode button and then the

Users tab.  if you want the login manager to show the user names select the

Selected users button (your users should appear in the list in the center of

the window)  you an also pick goofy pictures for your users.  reboot may be

necessary for changes to take effect.

if kdm is already installed and is the default then you can just do the

kontrol center stuff

good luck

clifton

Ignatz Sol wrote:

>I am a recent convert to Linux, running Debian sarge/testing with KDE

>3.2.2.  I am interested in setting up some sort of user switching, so

>that my wife can have her setup separate from mine.  I've been

>especially inspired by the switching available in the new Mac OSX.

>Now I don't need anything fancy, and I've found a few references to

>this (like this link, http://www.mepis.org/node/view/2083, though I

>haven't been able to try it out yet).  Just want to be clear as to

>what is the best way to facilitate this.  I will also need to be able

>to switch with an icon or something similar to make it simple for my

>wife.  Thanks for any help.

I don't know about an icon-based switch, but I've been using switching

at my house for years.

After the first person is logged into X in the normal manner (startx,

xdm, kdm, whatever), the second user can Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a

console, log in there, and then start a second session of X with "startx

-- :1". The third person can log in (Ctrl-Alt-F3) and start a third

session with "startx -- :2", and so on.

You can even configure kdm to have a graphical login on each X session

to make it easier, but I prefer the startx method myself.

Then to switch between users, Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to the first

session, Ctrl-Alt-F8 to the second, Ctrl-Alt-F9 to the third, etc.

I don't know of any way to autolock the screen when leaving one screen,

but a screensaver with a password might do for your needs (at my house,

passwords aren't an issue).

--

Kent