Re: Re: .bash_profile problems under gnome

Adam Siepel wrote:
> > How X starts up can be a mystery.  I use "startx" which uses my
> > ~/.xsession.  Others do the same and report ~/.xsession is ignored in
> > favour of ~/.xinitrc.

The ~/.xinitrc file is read by xinit.  This is a typical start when a
user logs into the text console and then runs xinit.  It is a step
lower than running startx.  startx calls xinit itself and passes
parameters to it.

> Hmmm.  Tried that, didn't work with either xsession or xinitrc.  I spent some
> time wading through the startup scripts and it looked like I am supposed to
> be using .xsession.  There's also an .xsession-errors file in my home
> directory that seems to be freshly updated on each login. [...]
> any other ideas?

Make sure your ~/.xsession file is executable.

  chmod a+x ~/.xsession

Otherwise it won't be executed.  It will be run 'sh .xsession' which
uses /bin/sh regardless of your normal shell and it won't be a login
shell.

Bob