Software to create 3D buttons for use on web pages, etc

I'm interested in creating 3D-buttons, ideally with a rounded, ray-traced look.

Anybody have any advice?

I am hoping that someone has scripted one of the major graphics programs to help automate this process. I.e. it seems that it should not be too difficult to have a front-end script offer relatively simple choices for shape, surface texture, transparency, size, color, font, text, lighting sources and then feed commands to a ray-tracing program.

Thanks,
Kevin Murphy