Re: How to get rid of logrotate

On Saturday 05 June 2004 12:00, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> is there any easy possibility to get rid of logrotate?
>
> I make use of sid on one station and sarge on another one.  logrotate
> is marked as a dependency of several packages.  Among others mailman
> and apache.  However, I do not want to have logrotate installed.
>
> Hence, how can I get rid of logrotate?  Is there documentation
> available for a dummy packet that is selected over the 'standard'
> logrotate?

You could "arrest" its functionality without removing the package by
editing /etc/logrotate.conf and commenting out the line
        include /etc/logrotate.d
as well as the entries for /var/log/wtmp and /var/log/btmp.  Then the
package would still be present and satisfy the dependencies but the
cron job would do nothing when it runs.  This would also make it easy
if you later decide you want to use logrotate.