Re: How to get rid of logrotate

Lukas Ruf wrote:
> is there any easy possibility to get rid of logrotate?

I assume you are thinking this will keep your logs around forever.
Probably you are processing them with another tool.

Instead of getting rid of logrotate I would work with it.  I would
modify the /etc configs to do what you want.  Those changes to /etc
configs will be preserved on future upgrades.

> I make use of sid on one station and sarge on another one.  logrotate
> is marked as a dependency of several packages.  Among others mailman
> and apache.  However, I do not want to have logrotate installed.
>
> Hence, how can I get rid of logrotate?  Is there documentation
> available for a dummy packet that is selected over the 'standard'
> logrotate?

You can always hack /usr/sbin/logrotate so that it is a noop.

  echo logrotate hold | dpkg --set-selections
  ln -sf -b -S .original /bin/true /usr/sbin/logrotate

Bob