New ADSL user - need net and firewall help

Please help. For many years I have been using Debian Linux on machines at home, including a machine dedicated for dial-up access and masquerading for my home lan. My lan also consists of two windows machines for family members.

DSL just became available in my area, and we subscribed. Now I need help getting my lan reconfigured to use the DSL modem and still protect my lan from the outside world.

The modem is set up as a NAT device, and is configured for DHCP on my side of the interface. I've never used DHCP under Linux, and don't have a server set up. I access the modem via Ethernet, which means my firewall machine now needs a second card so my Lan can remain connected. I can access the internet with my Linux machine by setting my IP address manually to the default IP in the modem, which is 192.168.1.2. The modem retains 192.168.1.1 for itself, and translates to a different set of addresses on the 'internet' side. To complicate things, the address the modem expects me to access it with conflicts with my home lan, which uses 192.168.1.0 addresses. So, it appears I may have to reconfigure my home lan for a different block of addresses for the second ethernet card to access, and bridge between the two ethernet cards in my linux gateway. I have little actual experience with routing and firewalls, I tend to learn what I need for the task at hand, and then leave things alone unless they break. Consequently, I forget most of what I learn by the time I need it again. I have heard of PPPOE, and my provider has mentioned it to me, but they say the modem is set up for DHCP. My complication comes because I want to retain my own ip masquerading and firewall capability.

Can anyone help me or point me to some step-by step reference material?

Thanks much,
   Russ