Re: New ADSL user - need net and firewall help

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 11:35:05AM -0500, Russ Cook wrote:
> Please help.  For many years I have been using Debian Linux on machines
> at home, including a machine dedicated for dial-up access and
> masquerading for my home lan.  My lan also consists of two windows
> machines for family members.
>
> DSL just became available in my area, and we subscribed.  Now I need
> help getting my lan reconfigured to use the DSL modem and still protect
> my lan from the outside world.
>
> The modem is set up as a NAT device, and is configured for DHCP on my
> side of the interface.  I've never used DHCP under Linux, and don't have
> a server set up.  I access the modem via Ethernet, which means my
> firewall machine now needs a second card so my Lan can remain connected.
> I can access the internet with my Linux machine by setting my IP address
> manually to the default IP in the modem, which is 192.168.1.2.  The
> modem retains 192.168.1.1 for itself, and translates to a different set
> of addresses on the 'internet' side.  To complicate things, the address
> the modem expects me to access it with conflicts with my home lan, which
> uses 192.168.1.0 addresses.  So, it appears I may have to reconfigure my
> home lan for a different block of addresses for the second ethernet card
> to access, and bridge between the two ethernet cards in my linux
> gateway.  I have little actual experience with routing and firewalls, I
> tend to learn what I need for the task at hand, and then leave things
> alone unless they break.  Consequently, I forget most of what I learn by
> the time I need it again.  I have heard of PPPOE, and my provider has
> mentioned it to me, but they say the modem is set up for DHCP.  My
> complication comes because I want to retain my own ip masquerading and
> firewall capability.
>
> Can anyone help me or point me to some step-by step reference material?

If you want to run your own firewall and ip masquerading you need to
set up a different network for the lan card and the card that connects
to the modem.

You need to activate the firewall on the card connected to the modem
and a NAT interface to enable local computers on the lan to connect to
the network ( from your description you already have that setup to
route dialup connections, if so you just need to replace the ppp
interface with the card interface).

The problem with ip masquerading is that you need the modem to route
connection directly to your computer which would require surfing to
your modem and setting it up route all connections or use ppp so the
connection is on the gateway (which will probably won't require any
other changes to you setup if I get it right).

for pppoe install
ppp
pppoe
pppoeconf