Re: Upgraded to unstable - lost network connectivity

Simon Kitching wrote:

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 18:24, Paul Scott wrote:
But did the dist-upgrade upgrade the kernel? If you had previously installed a kernel-image it might have been upgraded.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Here's the output of "uname -a"
on the "bad" version (linefeed in the middle inserted by me):
Linux pcsimon 2.4.26-1-686 #1 Sat May 1 18:04:05 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

and here's the output I see after booting into the backed-up
(pre-upgrade) version of debian. It's identical:
Linux pcsimon 2.4.26-1-686 #1 Sat May 1 18:04:05 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

I can also confirm that command diff -r /boot /mnt/hda6/boot
reports no differences except the tweaks I manually applied to get the
OS booting on the backup [/mnt/hda6 points to the partition containing
the "bad" upgraded version].

I think that between them, these tests (/boot contents and uname output
unchanged) demonstrate that the kernel of the good and bad (upgraded)
systems are identical, right?
Sounds good to me.  Like I said it was just a thought.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will answer the "why" question.

Have fun,

Paul