Re: Upgraded to unstable - lost network connectivity

Simon Kitching wrote:

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 15:42, dircha wrote:
Simon Kitching wrote:

You sound like someone who has probably thought of this as the possible cause of the problem, but did you upgrade your kernel as well?

Nope.
But did the dist-upgrade upgrade the kernel? If you had previously installed a kernel-image it might have been upgraded.

Or even if you have not upgraded your kernel, but if the kernel driver for your nic was compiled as a module, have you checked whether the module is being loaded (lsmod), and if so, is it?

Bingo! Running "lsmod" in the working vs non-working config shows that a
whole bunch of drivers are no longer being loaded after the
dist-upgrade. Running modprobe to force the network drivers to be loaded
restores network connectivity.

Thanks, dircha!

So the question now is: why did dist-upgrade from testing to unstable
mess around with the list of modules that are loaded at boot time?
That's sort of a rhetorical question; I don't hugely care as I now have
a working system [at least I can manually force the necessary drivers to
be loaded on boot]. But presumably other people will be bitten by this
too...

Presumably the list of modules to load on boot is just a config file
floating around somewhere like in /etc. Or is it dynamically determined
during booting [in which case the dynamic detection has been broken]?
See above.

Just a thought.

Paul Scott