Re: Upgraded to unstable - lost network connectivity

Bingo! Running "lsmod" in the working vs non-working config shows
that a whole bunch of drivers are no longer being loaded after the dist-upgrade. Running modprobe to force the network drivers to be loaded restores network connectivity.

So the question now is: why did dist-upgrade from testing to unstable
mess around with the list of modules that are loaded at boot time? That's sort of a rhetorical question; I don't hugely care as I now have a working system [at least I can manually force the necessary drivers to be loaded on boot]. But presumably other people will be
bitten by this too...

I had thought perhaps your dist-upgrade had replaced your modutils with
module-init-tools. Unless things have changed, modutils is for modules
and 2.4 kernels. module-init-tools is for 2.5 and 2.6 kernels.

If both are installed, there should be a script for each in
/etc/init.d/ and by default linked into /etc/rcS.d/.

Both use /etc/modules.

Although as I understand it, if both are installed and you are using a
2.4 kernel, the module-init-tools script should fail and the modutils
script will be used.

To be sure, you could try putting an "exit 0" at the top of
/etc/init.d/module-init-tools, or just temporarily remove it from
/etc/rcS.d/. This way, I believe, you could ensure that modutils is
being used.

Note: This may all be different if you use modconf; I don't have that
installed and don't remember whether it uses a different modules list.

If this doesn't help, hopefully someone else will see this thread who
would know right off just what you need.

Presumably the list of modules to load on boot is just a config file floating around somewhere like in /etc. Or is it dynamically determined during booting [in which case the dynamic detection has been broken]?

Well, that depends. Probably it is listed in /etc/modules. But see my
above note on modconf. Also, if your nic is a pcmcia device, it might
be being loaded with hotplug and listed in /etc/pcmcia/config.

Or if you have something like the kudzu or discover packages installed,
it might be being autodetected and configured during the boot process.

dircha