Re: Making new installations

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:35:58AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Ross Boylan (RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org)[20040604
>   09:36]:
> > I have an installed Debian system, and am interested in making some
> > more.  I'm interested in both new installs and chroots.  I realize
> > these may have somewhat different solutions.
> >
> > As for making a new install, I see two options: I can run the debian
> > installer or deboostrap.
> >
> > Are there other options?
> >
> > Both the options I know want to pull in debs, but I already have them
> > on my system.  Is there some way to get it to use them?  As far as I
> > can tell, the usual format for a debian archive is different from that
> > of apt's cache that has the debs on my system.
>
> If you'll be running multiple debian machines at a site, I

Sorry, I was unclear.  There's only one box involved, with different
partitions.   Still, perhaps apt-proxy will offer some clues.

Ideally, I could just point all my versions of the OS at the same apt
files (at least if they are approximatelly similar versions of apt),
but I don't know if that's safe or feasible.  For example, if the info
on what files are downloaded is mixed with info on what files are
installed on the system, it wouldn't work to will to share that info
across systems.

> highly recommend apt-proxy.  Configure one machine as an apt
> proxy and point all of the other machines' sources.list at
> it.  Then you only download each package once, on demand
> (rather than creating a whole local mirror) and it's all
> very transparent.
>
> As for your bootstrapping issue, take a look inside
> debootstrap; it's a shell script.  It already includes an
> option to unpack a tarball instead of downloading packages
> via http.  You could also set up your own web server and
> edit the MIRRORS line in debootstrap to point at it.

Thanks for the tips.