Making new installations

I have an installed Debian system, and am interested in making some
more.  I'm interested in both new installs and chroots.  I realize
these may have somewhat different solutions.

As for making a new install, I see two options: I can run the debian
installer or deboostrap.

Are there other options?

Both the options I know want to pull in debs, but I already have them
on my system.  Is there some way to get it to use them?  As far as I
can tell, the usual format for a debian archive is different from that
of apt's cache that has the debs on my system.

For setting up a chroot, using debootstrap is the only option I know.

Other ideas?