Re: mail server changing machines

hi ya

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Nick Smith wrote:

> im going to be moving my mail server to another machine, and moving it off
> site at another location (more bandwidth).  what would the easiest way and
> least down time way of doing that? i have the other machine already
> installed debian and updated stable, courier is installed, squirrelmail,
> etc, can i just copy over the config files and the Mailbox folders in each
> account and have it work? i really dont want to have to go through the
> hassle of reconfiguring everything and risk alot of downtime if i dont
> have to.

moving mail means you have zero down time
	- other than telling your pop servers where to
	pop mail from ( MX 30 or MX 20 or its already load balanced )

MX 30 ( secondarymail.ComputerNick.com) will be handling all your mail
while your primary MX 20 ( mail.ComputerNick.com ) is down and being moved

when mail.ComputerNick.com comes back online, all mail will be
forward to it from secondarymail.ComputerNick.com

- than move secondarymail when you have time

each and any mail server should be able to do everything the other was
doing ( especially antispam and antivirus rules )

c ya
alvin