iptables + ftp

FTP seems to be one of those evils...

I'm getting stuck on this passive FTP firewalling, where you accept hi-port (>1023) to hi-port connections for FTP.

Problem is this, it also accepts connections to everything running on hi-ports (mysql, postgresql...)

If I run FTP as a server and do not permit this hi-port to hi-port passive connections, what kind of problems might I expect to see? Will this effect: corporate firewalled users, MSIE users, everyone, AOLusers?