Re: trouble installing kde

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:56:15 -0700, Mike Chandler
<mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 June 2004 09:50 pm, Ignatz Sol wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:33:44 -0700, Mike Chandler
> >
> > <mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > > I believe you need to reconfigure your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
> > > If you use an nvidia video card, make sure the driver listed is 'nv' (or
> > > maybe 'vesa', they have both worked for me in the past.
> > > If you have another brand, I can't help.
> >
> > SOLVED!  I needed to apt-get install x-window-system-core.  I was
> > missing the xfonts I think, at least that what the main failure was
> > when I was trying to start KDE.  Whew!  I must have done that the hard
> > way...  But it's working great now and I've got a beautiful KDE
> > desktop.
> >
> > I think that the problem was trying to install kde with apt-get.  I
> > thought going in that "apt-get install kde" would do the work for me.
> > I didn't really want to install the whole desktop environment package
> > with Gnome and all from Aptitude.  But obviously apt-get doesn't take
> > care of everything for you.
> >
> > In summary, I think that you could get kde running with the following:
> >
> >      apt-get install kde kdm xserver-xfree86 x-window-system-core
> >
> > And I don't think I went past cd 3 of the set.  I did have to download
> > a few things, but really almost nothing...
> >
> > Hooray!  Thanks for all the help!
>
> Great!
> Question, when you were doing the install, did you not have a chance to run
> 'tasksel'?
> Cuz if you did, it could have set that all up for you.
> Just curious.

Well, it was my understanding that running the install for "Desktop
Environment" from tasksel would install Gnome and KDE and I thought,
being a newb, that it would be simpler to not do it that way as I
don't want Gnome...  Now I see that it would have been easier to do it
all with aptitude or tasksel and then simply remove Gnome if I indeed
did not want it...