Re: elm: possible bug: missing really basic functionality?

On Thu 3 June 2004 20:54, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Tom Kuiper <tbhk@dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> > The way 'elm' parses the header, if I reply only to you, no copy
> > goes to the list.  So, I do a 'group reply' to pick up what is on
> > the Cc: line.
>
> Ah, user error possibly caused by software bug.  You should be using
> reply-to-list instead.  If your MUA (elm) doesn't have that, you've
> found a bug and you should report it.  Better yet, patch it so it has
> it.  Or go the lazy way out and switch to mutt, kmail,
> sylpheed-claws, gnus or one of the other MUAs that doesn't suffer
> from such a bug. It's 2003:  Mailing lists have been around for a
> couple decades now, there is zero excuse for not having
> reply-to-list.

Funnily enough, Elm is held up as an example of a "modern mailer" in the
Reply-to munging essay even though it doesn't have a true reply-list
function - only reply ('R)' and reply-group ('G'), which is really
reply-all.

The world is still waiting for Thunderbird and/or Mozilla Mail to add
this functionality so that Windows will finally have a modern mailer.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

If you've lost something, you had to lose it, not loose it.