Re: desktop Linux for a debian user?

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:39:46PM -0400, Ignatz Sol wrote:

> > Knoppix, which is Debian-based, installed to the hard drive? Then as
> > your skills grow, you'll eventually be able to convert it to pure Debian.
> >
> > --
>
> Ah, I didn't know that Knoppix was Debian-based!  Knoppix was the
> first Linux that I saw, as I guess it is for many.  That sounds like
> it might be a good idea.
>
> >You could try Debian unstable.  Works great on my desktop.
>
> I hadn't thought of using unstable.  I'm learning on woody stable,
> though I have pulled a few components from backports.org.  What do you
> mean "it doesn't break much"?

Occasionally there are dependency problems that don't get resolved all
at once. In such cases you can just hold the update for a few days
until they are resolved (such as happening now with cups, there is/was
the same issue with gnome as it is being upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6 in
unstable).

I can't recall any broken packages other then that.

For the desktop unstable is the way to go, stable is mostly for servers.