Re: what happened to KDE?

Hi.  First of all, there's no need to CC me with any of this stuff.
I read the list, obviously.

I think the problems you're having are two separate problems:  one having
to do with the missing KDE session option in gdm, and the other having
to do with KDE being de-installed.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:52:38 UTC
Tom Kuiper <tbhk@dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:40:34 -0400
>> From: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: what happened to KDE?
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:32:37 UTC
>>Tom Kuiper <tbhk@dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> I few hours ago I upgraded the "unstable" version (2.4.20 kernel)
>>> with'dselect' and found that a KDE log-in session was no longer an
>>> option.
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "no longer an option."  You tried to
>> start up KDE but it crashed?  Your display manager no longer gives you
>> a KDE choice in some menu?  KDE was de-installed?
>
> Aplogies for my vagueness.  What I meant was that KDE is no longer
> listed as a session option in gdm log-in window.

OK.  A quick comment:  I would strongly recommend taking the time
to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html . . .in
particular, the part about "Before You Ask".  Searching the web,
searching the archives for this mailing list, and scanning the
documentation of the software for changes are all good things to
try to solve your problem.

I mention this because this first issue ("disappearing gdm sessions
after upgrade") has been discussed in this mailing list about 10
jillion times in the last few months.  A careful search of the
mailing list archives should answer this question for everyone.
There's also an explanation for what happened in the docs for gdm,
located at /usr/share/doc/gdm on your machine.

You further say:

> Creating a menu
> entry requires an appropriate entry in /etc/gdm/Sessions for kde, but
> there isn't one anymore.

Right.  That's what changed.  From the changelog for gdm, located
on your machine in /usr/share/doc/gdm/changelog.Debian.gz, we see . . .

} gdm (2.4.4.7-1) unstable; urgency=low
		[ various changes snipped ]
}  * gdm no longer reads the Sessions directory to populate the menu
}    (closes: #218786)
		[ more snippage ]
}  * With the new Xsession.in that uses the Xsession.d dir to start up,
}    and the /etc/dm/Sessions dir supported by kdm and gdm for programs
}    to indicate they should be on the session list, all that's needed
}    is those programs to supply desktop files for /etc/dm/Sessions
}    (closes: #84396)

Sessions aren't kept in /etc/gdm/Sessions anymore.  Instead, they're
in /etc/dm/Sessions.  Putting a KDE session file there should do the
trick.

The second issue -- the fact that many of your KDE packages were
de-installed . . .this one I'm not sure about, but were any of the
packages you upgraded CUPS libraries?  As was discussed here earlier
today, unstable is currently missing the package libcupsys2.  I
think the package libcupsys2-gnutls is meant to replace it, and the
two packages conflict with each other.  If you upgraded "cupsys",
that would have replaced libcupsys2 with libcupsys-gnutls.  However,
the package kdelibs4 currently in unstable was built against
libcupsys2, and needs to be rebuilt against libcupsys-gnutls.
Since it requires libcupsys2, an upgrade of CUPS causes kdelibs4
to be removed; it can't be re-installed, because it requires
libcupsys2, which is no longer present in unstable.  As discussed
in that earlier thread today ("Whom to ask about package system
errors?"), the KDE maintainer who needs to deal with this is aware
of the problem, but is very sick, and will do an upload when he
is able.

I don't know if that's what your problem is, but you might wanna
check into it.  If it isn't, it might be worth going back and seeing
what packages you *did* install/upgrade, and using apt-cache or
aptitude or p.d.o or whatever to find out why the KDE packages were
driven out.  That will help to fix things.

HTH.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)