Re: desktop Linux for a debian user?

On Thursday 03 June 2004 01:17 am, Jules Dubois wrote:

> have to resolve manually.  Nothing has ever broken, just sometimes I can't
> upgrade some packages immediately.

I did hit one real irritation.  Right when I was doing a new install on
several boxes they broke ALSA so that it didn't install properly unless it
was upgrading an old installation.  That was downright inconvenient.

Of course, the other half of the story is that by the time I discovered this
and fired up reportbug, someone else had already come up with a patch to fix
the broken postinst script, and someone else had already corrected the patch
so that it would actually work.

That's about the worst I've seen breakage wise after some time running
(variously) either testing or unstable.  Months?  Years?  I don't remember.
I took the plunge sometime after I got into dependency hell trying to install
some backport against another backport that didn't like yet some other
backport.  Keeping up with the scary bleeding edge stuff and occasional
broken dependencies is less painful IMHO than trying to keep Woody modern
enough to be useful.

It just really depends on what you want and need though.  I've been involved
with developing Rosegarden for a good bit now, and I almost have to stay on
the bleeding edge just to be able to continue to compile the thing.  I was
the last one among us by far to switch to KDE 3.2 because I waited until it
made it into Testing.

Unstable still has really old versions of a number of things, for that matter,
even so.  Rosegarden is a prime example.  Exult is another.  Even our
bleeding edge stuff isn't always so bloody.  But Debian is still the only
distro for me.  Every time I tinker with something else, I end up saying
"Ewwwww, crappy" at least a dozen times.  :)

One of the other Rosegarden developers keeps trying to get me to buy a copy of
SuSE, so I can get a "right and proper" distro.  No thanks...

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/