Taming the new fvwm

Has anyone managed to tame (e.g. get the menus to obey) the new fvwm
package:

ii  fvwm        2.5.10-6    F(?) Virtual Window Manager, version 2.5

Upon upgrade, it stopped paying attention to the .hook files in
/etc/X11/fvwm, and even though there are vague reference to new
configuration tools, none is discussed in the documentation, nor is there
any indication as to how to set them up.

I tried following the advice in NEWS.Debian with no luck -- copying the
files to ~/.fvwm2 made no difference.  I simply get a Debian generic menu
without any of the system or individual menu insertions I used to get.

Any help welcome.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu