From: Micha Feigin [mailto:michf@post.tau.ac.il]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 7:25 AM
To: Debian User
Subject: Re: VMware-4.5 workstation under Debian/testing?

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 12:10:23PM +1000, glenn wrote:
> Hi Ishwar
> I run vmware workstation on sid (upto date latest, you know the one
that
> unistalls samba and kde and messes with cups) with 2.6.6, and have
done
> on 2.6.5 for ages, and server out windows advanced server to upto 3
> clients with it. There were some hassles getting it going initially,
but
> that was a previous build. The current build has no trouble compling
the
> vmnet modules etc. You'll need to have installed the kernel headers
> package for the kernel you are using.
>
> The only 2 cavets are my one attempt to use a usb device in windows
> failed, and oneday after an apt-get dist-upgrade, my cd and dvd
> devices

I am having the same problem and it seems to be mostly dependent on
hotplug, although I am not completely sure.

Having hotplut disabled and just usbcore and usb-uhci loaded and
/proc/bus/usb mounted gives it a chance.

Their docs say that the usb device can't be claimed by kernel drivers
so that is probably whats causing the problem.

listmaster@lists.debian.org