Re: Thanks; introductions; my question.

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 10:51:16PM -0500, dircha wrote:
> Howard Levine wrote:
> >I have learned that the CD that I had burnt at the public library is
> >an ".iso" image and is unusable, whereas I could have programmed NERO
> >to reinterpret the image when it was created.  Is the ISObuster
> >utility proper to make this usable or must I download again?
>
> Welcome.
>
> Perhaps your problem will be obvious to someone here who has used NERO,
> and if so I will yield to their advice.
>
> So you've downloaded a Debian installation image as an .iso file.
>
> Your scenario would seem to be one of the following two, although I'm
> not quite sure which, and I don't quite understand why you would need to
> use this ISObuster utility (which I've never heard of, actually, but
> just looked it up).
>
> a) You now have a CD with a regular, Windows-readable filesystem, that
> contains a file named [name].iso.
>
> b) You now have a CD which does not have a Windows-readable filesystem,
> but rather an image written from a .iso.
>
> If (a), then you already have the .iso file. You don't need to
> re-download anything, you just need to write it to a CD as an image
> rather than as a file in a filesystem. (Perhaps you meant "write again"?)
>
> If (b), then, assuming you have downloaded a Debian installation image,
> and the image file is not corrupted, you should be all set to install
> Debian. If your computer supports booting from CD (BIOS setting),
> configure your BIOS to boot from the CD drive, insert the CD, and you
> can begin the installation.
>
> Did I understand your meaning? Feel free to ask here for any
> installation questions, and someone will be glad to answer your question
>  or direct you to the proper resource.

The case for (b) is inaccurate... the filesystem *will* be readable
under Windoze, but will contain a whole bunch of files and directories
as opposed to a single file called something.iso.

I'm betting it's (a), and all you need to do is copy the .iso file
back off the CD onto your hard disk, then burn another CD from the
file on the hard disk, but this time tell Nero to burn it as an image.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons